Friday, October 23, 2009

My book tour in Phoenix

October 21, 2009


Hello,

Getting to Phoenix, more precisely, Mesa, was not as easy as I thought it would be. Much of the road from Las Vegas to Phoenix is under construction. I had an 1.5 hour delay, and had to cancel part of my appearance at Stapely Junior High in Mesa. I was supposed to be there at 2:00, but got there at 2:35. I should have been there at 1:00 or 1:15. It was a very frustrating drive as I hit construction site after traffic jammed construction site all along the way.

Anyway, I made it and the visit was good. I got to hang out with a big fan, Nebraska Atwood and a bunch of cool kids. I was invited to speak at the school by Nebraska's dad and this kind of story makes it all worth while. Nebraska wasn't that into reading, was having some trouble with school, then he met me at a book signing and loved my books. Now he's a big reader and is doing really well in school. Nebraska's dad said I changed his son's life, and hearing things like that makes all of this struggle to be a writer worthwhile.

(the pics are all on Facebook)

Later that night I had dinner with my best friend from high school, Jordan Stephens, and his wife Karen, plus their great kids. It was so cool seeing them. I have awesome friends. I stayed with another high school and college friend, Natalie Kobinski and her family. Nat is like my little sister. I love her dearly. Her kid, Alex and Maya are very special as well.

The next day I made it to Diamond Canyon School in Anthem, Arizona. Three presentations to 6th and 5th graders, then I signed posters and sold books in the library at their book fair. What a fun time.

Dinner with friends and family at Red Robin, then a book signing at the Happy Valley Towne Center Barnes and Noble. The store was pretty dead, but I did well and sold a good amount of books. Some of the kids from the school came, and lots of old fans and friends. A good time was had by all, and seeing old friends from college was so cool.

Now I'm off to Flagstaff today. Thanks for reading.

Paul Genesse
Author of The Dragon Hunters
www.paulgenesse.com

No comments: