Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Shades & Specters



Hello,

The ghost has promised to let me go. No, not the one in my machine that makes me write. The one at the 100 year old hospital where I work. The ghost has been with me for the full ten years that I've worked there, but I say goodbye on October 28. That's my last shift at the old hospital.

On October 29, I'll be at the brand new Intermountain Medical Center (IMC). It's an amazing place and is twenty minutes closer to home. The 40 minute commute goes down to 20 minutes. IMC opens this coming Monday. I'm going to be the supervisor on my floor on the last night at the old hospital, then I'm going to be the first night shift supervisor on Cardiac 3 at the new hospital. I can't wait.

I'm heavily involved with getting my new unit up and running. Extra hours, extra stress, but it's all worth it. In the past month I've practically lived at the new place, training the staff and getting things ready. Life has been crazy, but I've managed to do a few other things . . . .

The writing news is good. The first issue of the Writers' Symposium Ezine came out on October first. It took a lot of work, but I'm proud of the debut. The next one will come out in January sometime. Thank you all for reading it and sending it along to your friends.

I've also been working on Medusa's Daughter and have written a few new chapters. It's coming along, though not as fast as I'd like.

The other news: I finalized my story, "The Queen's Ransom," working with my editors, Stephen Sullivan and Jean Rabe, to sharpen it up to a fine point. The anthology, Blue Kingdoms, Shades and Specters is coming out in less than a week, on Halloween. It features stories from several authors, including my own spooky tale. It's the sequel to "The Pirate Witch," and continues the story of Maeve Tierney, and chronicles her bid to recover the Queen's Ransom treasure. She has a bad feeling from the start and her little voice keeps telling her not to go there. But pirates love booty, and Maeve has to make one last score, then she can quit piracy forever . . .

Autographed copies of the first story, and the sequel in Shades and Specters will be available soon on my website and from the publisher.

Here's the text on the back.

Half-glimpsed things lurk in the mists that hang above the sea, between twilight and dawn. Things long dead have clawed their way into these pages, things that were better left entombed.

In this second volume of Blue Kingdoms stories you'll find a host of specters, ghosts, monsters and more, guaranteed to send shivers through your timbers.

Happy Halloween!

Paul Genesse

http://www.paulgenesse.com/

Author of The Golden Cord

Book One of the Iron Dragon Series

Five Star Books, April 2008

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, big changes! Very exciting for you. You have really been busy! This just makes me all the more eager for WFC. It will be so excellent to see you in person again. By then you'll be ready for a couple days of lolling about.

It's so impressive how you are always making progress these days. Mad props to you, Writing God.