Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ill Wind

Ill Wind (Weather Warden, Book 1) Ill Wind by Rachel Caine


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I've been wanting to read Ill Wind for a while, after reading a teaser chapter a long time ago. Finally, I got it off the shelf and read it over the span of three days. I really enjoyed the book. The voice of the main character was really fun. Jo is a Weather Warden, basically a wizard of sorts, who manipulates the weather, making sure it doesn't get out of hand. She belongs to an organization with other Wardens who keep Mother Nature from killing lots of people and destroying property all over the world. It was quite fascinating.



Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't and Jo is one of the up and coming Wardens, with major amounts of raw power--too much power for her own good. She ends up in some very serious trouble in the beginning of the book and spends the rest of the novel trying to find a way out. I loved how the author, Rachel Caine (a pseudonym used by a very prolific author who has had many names over the years), brought in the mythology of genies, (Djinn), and used them in a modern setting. Very intriguing and fresh. It was inspiring to me as an author to see her ideas coming off the page. I constantly had a movie of the book going in my head. It was a really cool visual book. Sexy, exciting and it kept me guessing. It's not a kids book, thankfully, and the first person voice was very real for me.



The book is what I'd call an Urban Fantasy with a very adventurous flair. It quite exciting, though a little complicated toward the end. I knew what was going on, but it was a challenge to understand as the plot gets very complicated as the finale approaches. It's definitely hard to see the ending coming. It has a very cool twist. The book can stand alone, or you can read more in the Weather Warden series. I've got about fifty more books on my shelf to read, but I really want to read the next one.



Happy reading and happy new year!



Paul Genesse, Author and Editor

Author of The Golden Cord

Book One of the Iron Dragon Series

www.paulgenesse.com






View all my reviews.

No comments: