Sunday, July 13, 2008

Book Two Progress

 

I'm up to 32% rewritten in The Dragon Hunters, Book Two of the Iron Dragon Series. I was at 25% last week. I was shooting for 35% or more this week, but a food allergy--I'm allergic to soy--and somehow I ingested some on Wednesday morning,  which slowed me down right off the bat. Then there was the library visit at Hill Air Force Base Thursday; one night of online promotion; blogging; emailing; preparing and sending off peoples book orders; reading and signing book and short story contracts; web site updating; catching up on sleep; dinner at a friend's house Friday night; quality time with Tammy; and then James Taylor's funeral Saturday. I'm tired just writing that! I have no one to blame but myself for not getting to the writing. Still, it turned out to be a productive week, though I only worked on the book one night. Sigh.

 

However, last night I handcuffed myself to the computer for a good eight hours, which bled into today, and got some work done. The characters are in that place I wanted them to get to (Pat, you know where they are). It's gotten so much nastier and the tension is increasing dramatically. I think my partner in crime, Patrick Tracy, will like what I've come up with. There are some cool twists and I think that a fairly low tension part of the book is definitely becoming a lot more interesting and dangerous. I'm sure the next pass will increase the drama even more.

 

I'm still behind where I want to be. I'm hoping to finish the rewrite by the end of August. Originally I wanted it done before that, but I don't think I can make it. You never know.

 

I think I need a real deadline to motivate me. All I know now is that the book comes out in late 2009. I've been waiting for one from my editor, but you know what they say: be careful what you wish for.

 

Paul Genesse

Author of The Golden Cord

Book One of the Iron Dragon Series

and author of God Pays in the new anthology from DAW Books, The Dimension Next Door, available now.

No comments: