Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One) The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
THE NAME OF THE WIND by Patrick Rothfuss







This is my first review on Goodreads. I’ve enjoyed reading the reviews of others and hope mine is helpful. I just finished reading THE NAME OF THE WIND from DAW Books by Patrick Rothfuss. He is a true poet and brilliant writer. THE NAME OF THE WIND is a very intriguing book about a fascinating character: Kvothe. This fantasy is set in a realistic medieval-type world, not our own, and is quite believable. It chronicles the life of a famous man who has an epic tale to tell. He is in hiding in the beginning of the book, a non-descript innkeeper in a backwater village.



The truth is that he is a very famous/infamous man known far and wide for his exploits. The novel tells of his early years, growing up as the son of the best traveling performers in the land, then after a harsh and lonely time in a brutal city, his eventual admission into The University where he hopes to learn real magic—and much more.



This is not Harry Potter at Hogwarts. This is a truthful look at the life of someone with no money or safety net. Kvothe has to use his wits and hard work to make his way in a world that crushes most people down. This novel is about what determination and skill can accomplish—but it’s about so much more. THE NAME OF THE WIND is a deep look at human nature and how forces shape a person into what they are, and what they’re going to become. It’s a poignant and captivating study of a most remarkable person.



I was very entertained by this lengthy book (662 pages), and savored the moments when I could read it for long periods. Life interrupted me several times, as I had deadlines related to my own novels or stories, so it took longer than it should for me to finish reading. Also, I read the hardcover version, which is quite heavy and not very portable. The paperback is now out and I would advise picking that one up—as many people have making it a New York Times bestseller.



Now I look forward to reading book two: A WISE MAN’S FEAR, coming out soon.



If you’re interested in epic novels that get to the heart of what it means to be a hero, and the cost of that path in life, THE NAME OF THE WIND will give you hours of entertainment, and a depth that most novels rarely achieve.



Paul Genesse

Author of The Golden Cord

Book One of the Iron Dragon Series

www.paulgenesse.com






View all my reviews.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul,

I also picked this book up based on the reviews of many others, I have about 150 pages left but so far it has been one of the best books have read this year.

One of the things that keeps coming to mind as I read the book is the "Princess Bride" I can picture Kvothe as the first Dread Pirate Roberts, now retired and listening to people tell stories of his exploits around the fire at his inn.

I will probably finish it tonight and from what I have already read I doubt I will be disappointed. The only hard thing will be waiting for book 2 and 3 to come out. I have the same problem with all trilogies (hint hint, this includes the Iron Dragon series :P )

Paul Genesse said...

I think you'll totally love the last 150 pages. I read the last 200 pages very quickly.

Bitter Larry said...

I will have to check this out - thanks for the recommendation.

Jordan