Friday, June 12, 2009

The Assassins of Isis

The Assassins of Isis The Assassins of Isis by Paul Doherty


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
I love reading about ancient Egypt, and when I saw this book I had to get it. I found it used, online, for a very cheap price. It was quite entertaining and the details about ancient Egypt were excellent. The overall thrust of the novel is that tomb robbers have been breaking into the tombs of the noble Egyptians, and also, a powerful general has been murdered. The pharaoh calls in her chief judge, a good man named, Amerotke. He is a cool character and investigates the murder of the general and the tomb robberies--which all seem to lead back to the Temple of Isis.



The plot is very complicated and the author kept me guessing throughout. I don't read a lot of mysteries, and found the mystery part of this almost superfluous to enjoying the ancient Egyptian setting. That said, I didn't feel like the author captured the mind set of the ancient Egyptians. I've read some other ancient Egyptian novels, especially by Wilbur Smith, that really captured my idea of what those ancient people would be like, psychologically, emotionally, spiritually.



I'm not saying P.C. Doherty did a poor job, just not a great job. The research that he did was top notch, and the description of the world was fantastic. It just wasn't as tense and engaging as other novels that I've read. Overall, it was a fun book, easy to enjoy, and well-researched. If you want to get a description of what ancient Egypt looked like, this is the book for you. If you're interested in a epic story that is very tense, read Wilbur Smith, who wrote Warlock and Rivergod. Both are very cool.



If any of you have any ancient Egyptian books you'd like to recommend, please let me know.



Happy reading,



Paul Genesse

Author of The Dragon Hunters

www.paulgenesse.com






View all my reviews.

No comments: