Monday, September 28, 2009

School Visits in Idaho

STA72963.JPG


My good friend, Misty Koeppen is the president of the educators’ associations in the Nampa school district, which is just outside Boise, Idaho. She’s one of their very cool administrators, and was able to take me to five elementary schools, Park Ridge, Central, Endeavor, Lake Ridge, and Owyee. We had only an hour at each school, which made getting to know the kids, answering their questions, and then teaching them a mini-writing workshop very challenging, but still very fun.

The kids were wonderful, as were the teachers, and I know made an impression at each school. Since I don’t have any kids, making connections with those kids, and getting to interact with them was very special for me. I hope they love reading more, and love writing more since I visited them. I sure hope so. The stories we created together during the workshops were lots of fun.

Getting to sign posters for them was also very rewarding. I wish I would have had more time to personalize a poster to each of them, but time moves so fast and sometimes you just have to take a bow, and hit the road.

I had such a great time in Idaho, and I’ll post about seeing several enduring friends that I haven’t seen in 17 years, (since high school) in another blog, coming soon. Going to see those friends was the real reason I went to Idaho—well, and for the famous potatoes . . .


Paul Genesse
Author of The Dragon Hunters
www.paulgenesse.com

No comments: