Tuesday, October 27, 2009

NAU Homecoming Weekend 2009

Flagstaff, Arizona October 23-24, 2009
(see the pictures on Facebook)
Public link on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=157506&id=583339135&l=0c5c092840


Did you know I’m a lumberjack? It’s true. I’m a graduate of Northern Arizona University—mascott: Louie the Lumberjack. I graduated in 1996 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing. I returned for homecoming weekend and had a blast.

I visited my enduring friend, Jennifer Hayes and her family, did a book signing at the NAU bookstore, and went to the football game with a fellow NAU and Beatty grad, Natalie Kobinski (formerly Tobin). Visiting my good friend Jenny in Flagstaff, was fantastic. She has a great family, Ariel, Nicholas, and her husband, Byron. Jenny was my study partner in school, along with Leah Latham. The three of us made it through school together and I was so happy to see Jenny again. She’s one of those really amazingly nice people with a heart of gold. She’s been blessed with fabulous children, Ariel (12), and Nicholas (5). It was so cute to see how close their whole family was. I’m really happy for Jenny and going out to dinner with her was an excellent catch up time. I haven’t seen her in many years, though we’d send X-mas cards and such.

The book signing went well at the NAU Bookstore. The people there were really cool and I got a good amount of traffic. The NAU Bookstore people really know how to throw an event. I’d love to go back someday. Many thanks to Kathy and Ken.

The football game afterward was lots of fun. NAU beat up Idaho State and the people around us were really fun to watch the game with. I went with my friend (and adopted little sister, Natalie). She’s one of my very best friends and I love her dearly. Getting to see her and Jenny were the highlights of my Flagstaff trip.

Afterward, Natalie went back to Phoenix to her kids and I had a lovely evening with Jenny’s family at their home—once I found it! My GPS and I had a disagreement over where her house actually was. I blame the dark! I think my GPS needs nightvision goggles. Or may I do?

Anyway, simple little things like watching Jenny’s five year old play with their dog were priceless. The hang out time was great too, and Jenny gives the best and tightest hugs you could possibly imagine. I had to have two of those wonderful hugs before I left Sunday morning for my seven-hour drive to L.A.

Paul Genesse
Author of The Dragon Hunters
www.paulgenesse.com

No comments: