Wednesday, November 4, 2009

World Fantasy 2009, San Jose

San Jose—World Fantasy

The World Fantasy convention was held in San Jose, California this year from October 29 to November 1. Tons of writers and some fans attended (1200 total, which is the maximum allowed at this professional convention). I was able to room with my writing buddies, Brad Beaulieu and Patrick Tracy. We had a good time and I was able to meet with many writers, publishers, agents, and a few editors. What happened at the convention? It’s top secret for now, but there were good things and bad things. Some doors closed, others opened. I don’t know what will happen next, but I got some excellent career advice from the president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Russel Davis. He’s so cool and he loved my first book, The Golden Cord.

I attended some great panels, including one on steampunk. Since I was recently asked to write a steampunk short story for another DAW anthology, edited by Jean Rabe, and I’m doing all the research I can. It’s going to be a fun story and I’ve got an idea for the setting, and main character, but not the story. That will come soon. I’ve got until February 1, 2010 before I have to turn it in.

My book signing at the mass author signing was excellent, and meeting with my writing teachers, Kij Johnson, Mike Stackpole, and my editor, John Helfers was very cool. I met so many new friends and I’m looking forward to seeing them all again. Overall, the convention was a big success, with a few setbacks. Not everything is magical for me, though. I get kicked in the gut once in a while, and have to fight through the pain. The publishing industry is hurting, hence the writers are hurting. It’s so hard to be in this field, and even if you do almost everything right, you can still get the crap kicked out of you from time to time. The good thing for me is that I have such awesome friends to prop me up when I nearly fall down. Brad, Pat, Barbara Webb, and my new friends kept me going no matter what. Here's the public link to the Facebook pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=160927

Best wishes,

Paul Genesse
Author of The Dragon Hunters
www.paulgenesse.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.